It is a sometimes disorienting experience to have a fly buzzing around your head. Although small, these pests regularly make themselves a big problem inside area homes. The question is, how much of a problem are flies really? Do they pose threats to the health of homeowners? Do they destroy property? Should you be concerned if you find them buzzing around your living areas? Here are some things you should know and the dangers flies pose to New York residents.
Which Flies Cause What Problems Around New York Homes
New York is no stranger to fly problems. We have flies inside and outside, they come in big sizes and small, and they are everything from annoying to dangerous. Here are a few species of flies that regularly cause trouble in our area and what you should know about each.
- House Flies: The house fly is what you expect to see when you hear the word fly. This 7mm-long gray pest has three black stripes on its thorax and flies in jerky patterns. On average, this pest lives for 28 days and doesn’t waste a single second of it. House flies are best known for spreading dangerous bacteria and are responsible for transmitting salmonellosis, dysentery, and cholera to homeowners in our area.
- Fungus Flies: The fungus fly is considered a soil-infesting pest and is found around potted plants and throughout the homes it infests. This pest does not bite nor sting and is considered harmless. They are, however, extremely annoying and breed quickly.
- Fruit Flies: The fruit fly likes to sneak into homes as eggs on top of fruits and vegetables. After hatching indoors, these pests reproduce rapidly and are difficult to control. Like house flies, fruit flies can carry bacteria on their bodies and spread diseases such as salmonellosis, E. coli, and listeria.
Why Flies Invade Area Homes
Flies invade area homes to scavenge for food and to breed. You are more likely to find these pests inside your living areas if your home is unclean or if you have a habit of leaving food out on countertops. Some species of flies, such as fungus flies, thrive in moist environments and seek out homes that are humid and offer sources of water build-up.
Some Simple Strategies To Prevent Invasive Flies
If you regularly have trouble with flies inside your home but are currently in a state of reprieve, now is your time to take action. To help you keep these pests out of your living areas, here are some simple prevention tips to try.
- Wipe down kitchen countertops and tables where you eat food, once a day.
- Mop hard floors and vacuum rugs regularly.
- Be careful not to leave fruits and vegetables out in the open.
- Store leftover foods inside airtight containers.
- Invest in trash cans that have tight-fitting lids.
- Throw out fruits and vegetables that are overly ripe, or store them inside of a refrigerated area.
How To Make Sure Flies Stay Out Of Your New York Home
If you cannot stand flies and don’t want them posing a threat to you and your family, we recommend investing in high-quality pest control services for your home and property. At BHB Pest Elimination, we take care of pest problems. Using advanced pest control technologies and industrial-grade treatments we will give your New York home and property what it needs to fight back against annoying and dangerous flies.
Give our team a call today if you would like to know more about our services or to schedule your home for a detailed pest inspection.