Do you have a flyswatter inside your home? Most homeowners do. It is a simple tool, but extremely valuable if you don’t like tiny bugs buzzing around your head while you are watching TV or trying to read a book. In truth, the flyswatter is a testament to how annoying flies really are. If you are on the same page and find these small insects unbearable, we are here today to help with six easy ways to keep flies out of your New York Home.
What Types Of Flies Invade Area Homes?
Many species of flies live here in New York, some are outdoor pests, others prefer invading homes. Here are some things you should know about the most common flies that live in our area and why they invade area homes.
- House Flies: House flies have a lifespan of roughly 28 days. Identify one of these pests by its 7mm gray, round body and the three black stripes located on its thorax. As their name suggests, house flies are most commonly found inside homes and other man-made structures. These pests invade homes to search for food and cause annoyances with the way they buzz around dinner tables and other areas where food is served.
- Phorid Flies: The Phorid fly is a local breed of fly that breeds inside drain sites and other areas around homes that are moist. These pests are also found around rotting, organic matter.
- Fungus Flies: The fungus fly is a soil-infesting pest that regularly gets into homes and breeds inside potted plants. These tiny bugs congregate inside homes and are found crawling on walls and near sources of left-out food.
- Fruit Flies: The fruit fly is a 3 mm-long insect that breeds extremely fast. These pests regularly invade homes as eggs that are hidden on vegetables and fruit and become more than annoying as their populations grow.
The Dangers Of Flies
If you didn’t know, flies are notoriously dirty pests. House flies in particular carry bacteria on their bodies and spread a range of diseases. Some of the most common diseases these pests transmit are salmonellosis, dysentery, and cholera.
Some Simple Tips To Prevent Flies
We can all agree, flies are not pests we want to share our homes with. To help you deter these invasive insects from causing trouble around your New York living areas, here are six great prevention tips you need to know.
- Inspect window/doors around your home. Make sure their screens are in good condition and fill in cracks and gaps around their frames using a caulking gun.
- Make sure your trash cans have tight-fitting lids, and be careful not to leave bags of trash in unprotected areas.
- Thoroughly wipe and wash down surfaces around your home at least once a week.
- Store food inside airtight containers and in areas where flies cannot access them. This is especially important for fruits and vegetables.
- Clean up after your pets and wash out their bowls after every meal.
Keep unscreened doors and windows closed when they are not in use.
The Best Fly Prevention Tip
Want to know a better way to keep flies out of your home? Hire the professionals at BHB Pest Elimination. Our team of highly-trained pest technicians knows how to eliminate unwanted flies and has the equipment to protect area homes from a wide range of other annoying, dangerous, and destructive pests.
Call us now and find out why residents in New York choose BHB Pest Elimination over our competition and find your best options for high-quality fly control.